Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
In this recipe, the carrots are thinly sliced, marinated and then baked to perfection, and finally placed onto toasted bread alongside tomato and lettuce to create this delicious sandwich. Vegan Friendly & easily made gluten-free by opting for gf bread.
Prep time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes resting time
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches)
For the carrot bacon:
- 2 large carrots, washed and peeled
- 1-2 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp tamari soya sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp onion granules
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp oil for coating the baking parchment
For the BLT sandwiches:
- 4 slices of bread (gf option), toasted
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 large salad tomato, thinly slices
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Use a vegetable peeler to thinly slice the carrots into ribbons. Place the ribbons into a bowl and generously rub the salt into the carrot slices, then set aside for 10 minutes. The salt will draw the water out of the carrots, making them soft and flexible.
- Rinse the carrots briefly to remove the excess salt and pat them dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the rest of the carrot bacon ingredients until no big lumps are visible, then place the soft carrot into the marinade. Evenly coat them and set them aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 180C.Line 2 baking trays with non-stick parchment and lightly grease them with a little oil. Lift the carrot slices out of the bowl, allowing for any excess to marinade to drip off and place them in a single layer onto the tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the trays, flip the carrot slices and bake for a further 5-7 minutes or until the edges of the carrot bacon are lightly crispy.
- To assemble your BLT sandwiches, toast the bread and spread the vegan mayonnaise across all slices. Place tomato slices onto 2 bottom slices, then top with lettuce and carrot bacon. Close the sandwich with the other 2 slices, mayonnaise facing down and cut each sandwich in half - then you’re ready to serve!
Get your ingredients at Grape Tree
Save yourself some time and energy and grab some of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe at Grape Tree, buy online and browse our range of products and ingredients below.
|Serving Size Per Sandwich