- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 × 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- A little plain flour for dusting
- Salt and pepper
- Gently fry the onions over a medium heat in half the oil until they are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another minute, stirring.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork or a potato masher. Add them to the onions, along with the cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring, for another three or four minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and stir in the tahini to bind the mixture. Season to taste.
- Form the mixture into four burgers and coat them in flour. Fry them in the remaining oil for four minutes on each side.
- Serve with a green salad.
John Bishop's Chickpea Burgers
This incredible chickpea burger is simple to make and tastes fantastic too, it makes a great alternative to a traditional burger and is perfect for an easy meal when you need one.
This recipe is courtesy of Veganuary, which encouraged over 620,000 people to try going vegan in 2022. Make sure to check out their website for more information, or browse our range of Vegan health foods and order online