Recipe and images courtesy of Nourishing Amelia, Award Winning Blogger
Buckwheat is used instead of rice to give an extra oomph of nutrients. Buckwheat is a naturally gluten free grain (technically a seed) that’s high in protein, high in fibre and it’s easier for the body to digest compared to rice. Buckwheat has so many health benefits, such as having the ability to help balance blood sugar levels and it contains many vitamins & minerals like energy boosting B vitamins, zinc, iron and folate. So it really is a great addition to your diet!
- 120g buckwheat
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 320ml vegetable stock
- 200g courgette (1 medium)
- 100g frozen peas
- 80g spinach
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- 40g pine nuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8g fresh coriander
- Black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over a medium heat. Dice the onion and add this to the warmed pan.
- Once the onion begins to brown add the garlic. Cut the courgette into half moon shapes and add to the saucepan too. Allow to cook for around 5 minutes.
- Rinse the buckwheat groats under cold water and add to the saucepan along with the vegetable stock. Sprinkle in the dried herbs and plenty of black pepper. Allow to cook on a low heat for 5 minutes then add the frozen peas.
- Continue to cook on a low heat, stirring regularly. Once the buckwheat starts absorbing the water add the lemon juice and nutritional yeast. Cook the mixture for around 10-15 minutes, or until the stock is absorb and the buckwheat is soft.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and the spinach at the end of cooking, and allow the spinach to wilt.
- Add the pine nuts to a dry frying pan over a low heat and gently toast for 2-3 minutesor until they begin to brown. Stir 2/3 of the pine nuts into the risotto.
- Serve between 2 plates, sprinkling the remaining pine nuts over the top.
Get your ingredients at Grape Tree
Save yourself some time and energy and grab some of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe at Grape Tree, buy online and browse our range of products and ingredients below.