Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
These thumbprint cookies are super easy to make, also with kids! They bring the divine flavours of homemade apple pie into snack size and are perfect to enjoy during the Christmas time. Made with a simple cookie dough base and filled with homemade apple pie jam.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (makes 20)
For the apple pie jam:
- 450g apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped (prepared weight)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 300g sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp pectin powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
For the thumbprint cookies:
- 200 g flour
- 50 g almond flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120 g vegan butter
- 110 g coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by preparing the apple pie jam. Place the peeled, cored and finely chopped apples intoa large saucepan and just about cover them with water. Cook on a medium heat until the apples are soft and discard the excess water.
- Add the vegan butter and sugar, then drizzle in the lemon juice and bring to a boil whilst stirring regularly. Cook for 8-10 minutes, making sure the bottom doesn’t burn. Sprinkle inthe pectin powder and stir vigorously to combine. Cook for 1 more minute, then remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Transfer the apple pie jam to a sterile canning jar and store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To prepare the thumbprint cookies, sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together the vegan butter, coconut sugar and vanilla extract, then slowly addthe dry ingredients until you get a cookie dough. Place the cookie dough into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 190C and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Use a teaspoon to portion the cookie dough and grease your hands to roll the cookies into little balls. Press down the middle with your thumb to create the thumbprint shape and fill the holes with the apple pie jam.
- Transfer the cookies to the preheated oven and bake them for 7-9 minutes, then let them cool down for at least 30 minutes before removing them from the oven.
- Enjoy the cookies alongside a hot cup of seasonal tea or store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Get your ingredients at Grape Tree
Grab all the bits you need to make this delicious Thumbprint Cookies online at Grape Tree, including Pectin Powder, Cinnamon and Nutmeg,
|Serving Size 1 Cookie