A delicious and classic comfort cake that makes the perfect afternoon treat. Baked using the Grape Tree Californian light walnut halves and moist pitted dates and finally topped with a creamy almond frosting. A lovely easy bake that we guarantee tastes so good it will not hang around for long!
- 200g pitted dates
- 150ml water
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 100g rapeseed oil
- 200g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
- 50g chopped walnuts
- A handful of walnut halves to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Fan 160°C).
- Rub some oil around the inside of a loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Put the pitted dates and water into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and leave to cool.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and airy.
- Mix in the oil followed by the self-raising wholemeal flour.
- Break the walnuts into small pieces and add the rest to the mixing bowl.
- Add the prepared dates and mix everything together.
- Tip the mixture into your loaf tin and level the top adding the walnuts halves as decoration.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.