Extracted From Ainsley's Good Mood Food by Ainsley Harriott
The ground almonds make this slightly less custard-like than a typical traditional French clafoutis. Instead, it has more texture, like a deliciously light cake batter. The combination of the citrusy, aromatic cardamom cream with the vanilla notes in the sweet berries really is delicious.
- Small knob of butter, for greasing
- 100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 250g fresh blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 125ml whole milk
- 150ml double cream
- 1?2 tsp almond extract or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 30g plain flour
- 40g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE CARDAMOM CREAM:
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Seeds of 4–5 cardamom pods, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease a 20cm ovenproof baking or pie dish with the butter and sprinkle with two tablespoons of caster sugar to coat the inside. Put the blueberries in the bottom of the dish and scatter over the lemon zest.
- Mix together the milk, cream, and almond extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and frothy, then stir in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Gradually pour the milk mixture onto the eggs, whisking all the time, until the batter is smooth and creamy, but being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter over the blueberries and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake in the oven for 35–40 minutes or until puffy, golden and just set with a slight wobble in the middle.
- Meanwhile, whisk the double cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks form. Fold in the cardamom until well combined. Chill until needed.
- Remove the clafoutis from the oven and transfer the dish to a wire rack for 5–10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm, or at room temperature, topped with a spoonful of the cardamom cream.
COOK’S NOTE: The clafoutis will deflate a little as it cools, but don’t worry!
Get your ingredients at Grape Tree
Save yourself some time and energy and grab some of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe at Grape Tree, buy online and browse our range of products and ingredients below.