Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
These vegan scones are perfect to enjoy along a cup of tea or coffee when the days get shorter! They are filled with warming chai spices, such as cinnamon, ginger and cardamom and a delicious little bake for your seasonal weekend baking.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (makes 8-10)
- 250g plain flour
- 15g cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 allspice
- 110g cold dairy-free butter (unsalted)
- 120ml plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 100g-150g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp vegan cream
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients - flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking powder and spices.
- Cut the cold vegan butter into small cubes and use a pastry cutter to mix the cold butter into the flour mix until you get a crumbly mix.
- Pour in the soy milk and vanilla extract and mix with a spoon until you get a shaggy dough.
- Carefully knead and fold the dough on a floured surface - it will be sticky, so add a little flour onto your hands to work with it. Create a rectangle with the dough and use a sharp knife to cut the dough into triangles. Place the triangles onto a lined baking tray 2-3 inches apart and place them into your fridge.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 200C.
- Brush each scone with a little plant milk and sprinkle with caster sugar (this is totally optional of course, but gives a nice crunch!).
- Bake the scones for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Remove them from the oven and let them cool a few minutes before removing them from the hot baking tray.
- Once they’re cool, combine all ingredients for the glaze and drizzle it over the scones. Enjoy them as soon as the glaze is set or store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Get your ingredients at Grape Tree
Grab all the bits you need to make this delicious Vegan Chai Spiced Scones online at Grape Tree, including a range of spices.