Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
Halloween in a jar! If you are thinking of having a Halloween party this year, these Halloween jars make a great sweet treat for your guests. They are vegan friendly, decorated with blood red cherry jelly!
Prep time: 60
Cook time: 10-20
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 90 g dairy-free chocolate cookies, crumbled
- Vegan friendly candy for decoration (optional)
For the tombstone cookies:
- 75 g plain flour
- 30 ml coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- Black icing or food colouring (optional)
For the sugar skulls:
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1-2 drops of red food colouring gel
- 1 tbsp water
For the chocolate mousse:
- 300g silken tofu
- 1 bar dark chocolate, melted (100g)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- A pinch of salt
For the cherry jelly:
- 70g cherries
- 70ml boiling water
- ¼ tsp agar agar powder
- Let’s start by preparing the decoration and preheat your oven to 180C.
- For the tombstone cookies, sift the plain flour into a small mixing bowl, and pour in the melted coconut oil, almond extract and maple syrup. Knead into a smooth dough and add more flour if it’s too sticky, or more coconut oil if it’s too dry.
- Roll out the dough on a non-stick baking parchment and cut out your tombstone shapes.
- Transfer to the preheated oven and bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow for them to cool down completely before removing them from the parchment and decorating them to your liking with black icing.
- In the meantime, prepare the sugar skulls. Mix sugar, water and red food colouring in a small bowl until it resembles a sandy texture, then press the mix into your skull moulds. Transfer to the freezer and allow to freeze for at least 30 minutes or until you can safely remove the skulls.
- For the chocolate mousse, whip up the silken tofu, maple syrup and pinch of salt, then carefully pour in the melted chocolate and whip until well combined. The mousse should be soft and fluffy.
- To create the cherry jelly, place the cherries into boiling water for 10 minutes, then blend until smooth using a stick blender. Stir in the agar agar powder and gently heat the mix on the stove over low heat for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before decorating your jars.
- To assemble your graveyard jars, layer your crumbled cookies and mousse into a jar, finishing with a thick layer of cookie crumbles to resemble soil. Drip your cherry jelly around the rim of the glass and decorate with the tombstone cookie, sugar skull and edible gummy worms.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge overnight until ready to serve!