Photo Credit: "© [Olena Rudo] / Adobe Stock
We always like to bring you balanced, accurate and educational information about the different and delicious healthy foods that we have in our stores and online.
Of course, there are many similarities. Both raisins and sultanas are highly nutritious, pack a real nutrient punch and contain up to four times the fibre, minerals and vitamins contained in fresh grapes.
The health benefits of Raisins and Sultanas
With such a rich potassium, antioxidant, and fibre profile, we think these delicious dried fruits punch high above their weight in terms of health benefits, including improved digestive health, lowered blood pressure and better blood sugar levels.
Here are the things that set these dried grapes apart from each other:
- These little pops of sweet fruity flavour can be made from any variety of different grapes.
- They are larger than sultanas in size.
- Raisins are dried naturally for around three weeks.
- Raisins are always dark in colour, as grapes darken as they dry, giving them their dark brown hue.
- The size, taste and colour is dependent on the type of grape that’s chosen
- Sultanas are only made from seedless green grapes.
- They are often dipped in an oil-based solution to speed up the drying process.
- Sultanas are often the juiciest and the lightest in colour.
- They tend to be smaller than raisins.
- In the USA sultanas are called Golden Raisins and in Australia, they often dry them naturally and call them ‘natural’ sultanas.
How about currants? We would not leave those out. These delicious dried grapes are chosen from the very smallest grape varieties, have the same nutritional power as their bigger grape cousins, but have a sweeter and more intense flavour. So now you know!
Check out two of our favourite raisin and sultana varieties, Chilean Crimson Raisin and Australian 5 Crown Sultanas, or read up on more of our favourite facts about other kinds of health foods. For more incredible nuts, seeds and fruits, discover our range our products and buy online today.