Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
These easy vegan Pecan Cinnamon rolls are delicious and perfect for when you have a craving for something sweet. They are entirely plant based and gluten free with a soft centre. They make a great dessert or enjoy alongside a tea or coffee!
Prep time: 2 hrs (includes 1.5 hrs resting time)
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Ingredients (makes 7-8 cinnamon rolls)
For the dough:
- 200ml plant milk
- 50g gluten-free plain flour blend (Doves Farm)
- 300g gluten-free flour blend (Doves Farm)
- 10g dry active yeast
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 60ml rapeseed oil
- 100ml lukewarm plant milk (around 50°C)
For the cinnamon & pecan filling:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 50g Jumbo Pecan Halves, finely chopped
For the vegan cream cheese frosting:
- 100g dairy-free cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- To make these Pecan Cinnamon Rolls, start by combining 300g of the gluten-free flourblend, yeast, xanthan gum, salt, golden caster sugar and ground cinnamon in a large mixing
- In a small saucepan, combine 50g of the gluten free flour blend with 200ml plant milk. Whisk to combine over low heat on the stove until the mixture begins to thicken and become lumpy
and sticky, then remove from the heat. This should roughly take about 5 minutes.
- Add the sticky mixture to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl, then pour in 60 ml rapeseedoil and 100 ml of like-warm plant milk. Combine everything into a dough, then gently knead it on a gluten-free floured surface for 3-4 minutes, forming a dough ball. Place the dough back into the bowl, cover and leave it to rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Once the hour elapses, generously dust a clean surface with gluten-free flour and roll out the dough ball on the surface into a rectangle to about 1cm thickness. Be gentle as the gluten-free mix can easily tear.
- Next, prepare your pecan cinnamon filling: Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan, then sprinkle in the cinnamon and dark muscovado sugar. Stir to combine everything over low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to slightly thicken. Remove from the heat, let the mix rest for 2 minutes, then spread it over your gluten-free dough.
- Sprinkle 50g of finely chopped pecans on top, then preheat your oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Gently roll up the dough into a log shape, then use a sharp knife to cut the log into roughly 5cm thick rolls. Place the rolls into an ovenproof dish - they should be just about touching each other to give them enough space to expand.
- Place the cinnamon rolls into the preheated oven and bake at 190°C for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of your pecan cinnamon rolls begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow for the rolls to cool down for 30 minutes before adding your frosting.
- To prepare your frosting, first whip up the vegan cream cheese and vanilla extract in a medium-size mixing bowl. Slowly sprinkle in the icing sugar and continue to blend until all ingredients are incorporated. Use a spoon to spread the icing across your pecan cinnamon buns, and sprinkle a few chopped pecans over the top for an extra crunch.
- Enjoy these delicious & easy pecan cinnamon rolls cold or warm (reheated in the oven for 5
minutes) alongside a delicious cup of coffee or tea!