Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
This vegan Simnel loaf cake is the perfect treat at Easter, or anytime of the year! Loaded with South African blush raisins, sultanas, and golden raisins, it's bursting with fruity flavours. Topped off with orange marmalade and a marzipan layer for a deliciously sweet finishing touch.
Prep time: 15 minutes + 2 hrs soaking time
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 10):
- 100g persian golden raisins
- 80g south african blush raisins
- 80g sultanas
- 1 whole orange peel cap, finely diced + extra to decorate
- 60ml brandy or fresh orange juice
- 180g plain flour
- 30g almond flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp milled flaxseeds
- 90ml plant milk
- 4 tbsp applesauce
- 180g dairy-free butter, at room temperature
- 120g light brown sugar
- 1-2 tbsp orange marmalade to brush the loaf
- marzipan to decorate
- In a bowl, mix the raisins, sultanas and diced peel with brandy or orange juice and set aside in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hrs to soak.
- Sift flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Mix flax seeds and plant milk in a small bowl and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream vegan butter and brown sugar until creamy, then add the flaxseed mix and applesauce. Once smooth, slowly add the flour mix until well combined.
- Fold in the soaked fruits last using a spatula, then transfer the cake batter to a lined and lightly greased loaf tin. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow for the loaf cake to cool down completely, then transfer to a serving board and decorate with marzipan & orange peel to your liking.
- To serve, slice the loaf and serve the vegan simnel cake slices on their own or with a serving of vegan whipped cream.
Get your ingredients at Grape Tree
Save yourself some time and energy and grab some of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe at Grape Tree, buy online and browse our range of products and ingredients below.
|Serving Size 1 Slice
|Makes 10 Slices