Recipe and images courtesy of Romy London (@romylondonuk on Instagram)
These delicious stuffed croissant rolls are sure to become a new favourite for anyone with a sweet tooth! Using a fluffy vegan pastry base, these layered rolls are filled with a homemade chocolate and hazelnut butter, which gives them a rich flavour that will make you drool! With roasted hazelnuts on top these stuffed croissant rolls hold a nice crunch, that is simply wonderful alongside your morning coffee or afternoon cup of tea.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6):
For the dough:
- 250g plain flour
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 110g vegan butter, cold and cubed
- 120 ml plant milk, lukewarm (~43 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
For the vegan chocolate & hazelnut cream:
- 150g hazelnuts
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup, to taste
- chopped hazelnuts to serve (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cold, cubed vegan butter to the flour mixture. Use your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until you have a crumbly texture.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the plant milk and active dry yeast. Let it sit for a few minutes until the yeast becomes frothy, then pour into the flour and mix until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 to 2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll it out into a large rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Fold the rectangle in half twice, then roll it out again and repeat one more time.
- Roll up the rectangle along the shorter edge & slice into 6 equal rolls.
- Place the rolls onto a lined baking tray, giving them some room to expand. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 190°C.
- Bake the rolls for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Transfer roughly half of the vegan nutella to a piping bag with a long pointy nozzle. Pierce each roll and squeeze the vegan nutella into the centre until it spills out.
- Place the rolls upright, sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and you’re ready to indulge!