Pumpkin & Sunflower Seed Wholemeal Spelt Loaf
Spelt is a good source of dietary fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals. The spelt grain is also water soluble, which makes it easier to digest than your standard plain flour. It also has mild and slightly sweet, nutty flavour.A light grain so, it doesn't weigh down baked goods, which makes it a great choice when using in bread recipes. In this recipe, we've used sunflower and pumpkin seeds, but these are optional and you can pick and choose from your favourite nuts, seeds or dried fruit. This delicious bread is wonderful with both sweet and savoury toppings or just simply spread with butter.
- Free from Egg, Soya, Dairy
- Vegetarian, Vegan, Organic
Ingredients (Makes 1 Loaf)
- 500g Doves Farm Organic Stoneground Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp quick yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 350ml tepid water
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- Requires 2lb loaf tin
- Add flour, yeast and salt into a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the water. When the mixture looks lumpy stir in the rapeseed oil. Use your hands to bring together into a dough ball.
- Knead the dough in the bowl or on a work surface for around 100 presses.
- Cover cling film and leave it in a warm place until the dough is doubled in size. This should take around an hour.
- Repeat and knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds until combined.
- Shape the dough and place in your prepared loaf tin. Loosely cover the tin. Leave in a warm place to rise for 35 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 220?C, Fan 200?C, 425?F, Gas 7.9.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (to check its ready, tap the bottom of the loaf. You should get a hollow sound). Leave to cool on a wire rack.