Pecan Pie Bites – Vegan
Vegan and refined sugar-free Pecan Pie Bites, a real treat for the festive season! If you love a traditional pecan pie, then these really are a must. You get all the sweetness and crunch from an all-time classic pecan pie recipe, but healthier and easier to bake. These bite-sized bars are the perfect crowd pleaser. A sweet shortbread crust with just enough bite and all the nutty flavour of pecans. Best served straight from the fridge!
(For the crust)
200g almond flour
4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of pink salt
(For the pecan topping)
2 tbsp flax meal
5 tbsp warm water
100g pecans roughly chopped
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
50g coconut sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8? square pan.
2. Add all crust ingredients to a medium bowl and mix to a crumb.
3. Pour the crumb mixture into the 8? pan and press evenly to form an even layer across the bottom. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside for an hour to cool.
4. Whisk the flax meal with the warm water and refrigerate. This helps the vegan egg to gel up (ideally leave for one hour so, ideally do this while the crust is cooling)
5. Place the pecans onto a baking sheet and bake them into the oven until they are dark and smell “nutty” we suggest about 8-10 minutes. Cool and roughly chop.
6. For the topping, combine the remaining coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and salt in a large sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently and then remove from heat. Leave to stand at room temperature for 5 minutes.
7. Add the chilled flax eggs and mix well. Finally, stir in the chopped pecans until they are coated in the sugar mixture.
8. Pour the topping over the crust, using a spoon to spread evenly. Press gently so the pecans lie flat.
9. Bake until the filling looks set, approximately 20 minutes. Leave to stand and then refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Recipe Notes: Make sure you let the finished bars chill at least 6 hours before serving!