Mini Key Lime Pies
Recipe and images courtesy of Nourishing Amelia, Award Winning Blogger
A traditional key lime pie is made with dairy, gluten and refined sugar which means it isn't always suitable for those either choosing to be a little healthier or following a free-from diet, but that's where this recipe comes in to save the day! These mini Key Lime Pies are the perfect twist on the classic - they're zesty and sweet, creamy and rich as well as having the most delicious crust, beautifully smooth lime filling and wonderful whipped coconut cream topping. A perfect dessert to whip up for a dinner party or to serve to the family for a weekend treat! You can also freeze these mini key lime pies - just be sure to defrost in the refrigerator for an hour before tucking in!
- 80g oats
- 50g almonds
- 6 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 80g cashews (soaked in water for a minimum of 6 hours)
- 5 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Zest 1 lime
- Optional - pinch of matcha for colour
Whipped Maple Coconut Cream -
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- Optional - extra lime zest for the top
- Pre-soak the cashews by covering them in cold water and allowing to soak for a minimum of 6 hours.
- To make the base start by adding the oats and almonds to a food processor and blending into a flour-like consistency.
- Add the pitted dates, coconut oil and maple syrup to the food processor and blend until sticky dough-like consistency forms.
- Press the mixture into mini tart/pie cases then place in the freezer to set while you make the filling.
- Drain and rinse the cashews then add these to a food processor along with the coconut cream, maple syrup, lime zest and matcha (if using). Blend until really smooth and creamy!
- Remove the pie bases from the freezer and fill each one with the creamy lime mixture. Then place back in the freezer for 2 hours to set.
- To make the whipped cream add the coconut cream, maple syrup and xanthan gum to a bowl and whip well with a whisk until it thickens.
- Once the lime pies are set remove from the freezer and add a dollop of the whipped cream on top of each. Add a slice of lime and extra lime zest over the top for an extra something!
- The mini key lime pies are ready to serve! Or keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days. Also suitable for home freezing.