Healthy Falafel Burgers
A healthy and flavoursome burger with a twist! And a great way to use up the stockpile of chickpeas in your store cupboard. If you are a fan of burgers, then this recipe provides all the taste but with less of the calories.
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed or 250g of dried chickpeas after soaking
- 4 shallot onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp coriander loosely packed and chopped
- 4 tbsp parsley loosely packed and chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp wholemeal spelt flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Oil for frying
- Drain 1 can / 250g of chickpeas, rinse and dry.
- Add the drained chickpeas to a food processor along with chopped onions, garlic, coriander, and parsley. Add 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp chilli flakes, 2 tbsp wholemeal spelt flour, baking powder and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend the ingredients together until smooth
- Shape the mix into four patties / burgers with your hands.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan and add the burgers frying for 3 mins on each side until lightly golden.
- Serve on a toasted pitta bread with tomato salsa and side salad.