Gluten Free Christmas Cake
Our delicious Gluten Free Christmas Cake recipe is free from wheat, gluten and soya, making it suitable for those who are following a gluten free diet so now nobody has to miss out on a slice of festive tradition!
- 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, currants, sultanas, chopped natural dried apricots and goji berries)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- Add the fruit, apple juice, nuts and zest to a bowl. Let this mixture soak for about 30 mins to soften the fruit.
- In a saucepan over a low heat, add coconut sugar and water - stir until it forms a caramel type sauce.
- Then add the coconut oil and spices to the pan and raise heat to medium for 5 minutes - keep a close eye on the mixture and stir often.
- 4. Add the fruit mixture and bring to a simmer for 2/3 minutes. Turn off heat and allow mixture to cool on the stove. (This is where you'll want to taste and adjust sweetness).
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Then add eggs. Fold in the completely cooled fruit mixture and spoon into a 20cm cake tin greased with coconut oil.
- Bake at 165C for 45-60 mins.
- Be sure to check the cake with a skewer to see if it's done.
All of the ingredients you can see in bold in the above recipe should be available in Grape Tree stores.