Christmas Cake - Vegan
Our delicious Christmas Cake recipe now has a vegan option making it suitable for those who are following a vegan diet so now nobody has to miss out on a slice of festive tradition!
- 350g plain flour
- 300g sultanas
- 400g raisins
- 125g currants
- 150g mixed Peel
- 100g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 100g dates, pitted and chopped
- 150g glace cherries
- 50g pecan nuts, chopped
- 150ml brandy or sherry (non alcoholic replace with apple juice)
- 225g coconut oil
- 225g coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp orange rind zest
- 1 tbsp lemon rind zest
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 large eggs or 4 tbsp linseed (Vegan option)
- Wash and dry the fruit and place in a large bowl. Pour over the brandy or sherry and mix well then cover and leave to stand overnight.
- Line a 20-24cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar making sure it is well mixed. Add the fruit rinds, vanilla eseence and beat well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. If the mixture starts to curdle add a little flour. (Vegan option - replace eggs with 4 tbsp of linseed and 12tbsp of water and leave for 30 minutes before adding).
- Fold in the prepared fruits alternating them with the dry ingredients and nuts. Mix well.
- Pout into the lined tin then take it out and wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and store in an air tight container.
- Decorate how you wish.