40 Uses for Coconut Oil
40 Uses for Coconut Oil
October 09, 2019
Coconut is incredibly versatile and not just for your kitchen cupboard! This wonder product is super nourishing for your skin, hair, and all over the body. We have compiled our list of the best 40 uses.
- Massage Oil – Coconut oil soothes tired and sore muscles. Add a few drops of essential oils for more effect.
- Athletes Foot – The powerful antifungal properties of coconut oil make it perfect for any fungal infection. Add a few drops of oregano or tea tree oil for more antifungal power.
- Acne – Coconut oil gently fights the bacteria that cause acne. Dab it directly on the offending pimples and watch them shrink.
- Cleanser – Coconut oil makes an effective and gentle cleanser to remove the grime of the day.
- Lice – Coconut oil kills and removes this pesky problem.
- Stretch Marks – Prevent and soften stretch marks from pregnancy with coconut oil for soft and supple skin.
- Moisturiser – Coconut oil is an excellent way to soften and hydrate dry, rough, or damaged skin.
- Face Scrub – Mix coconut oil with baking soda, sugar, or cinnamon and oatmeal for the perfect face scrub and exfoliator.
- Dandruff – Massage coconut oil into the scalp to ease symptoms of dandruff, both itching and flaking.
- Appetite – Take a spoonful before meals to curb appetite so you don’t overeat.
- Sore Throat – Dissolve a spoonful in your mouth and let it slowly roll down the throat. This will coat and protect the throat, boost the health of mucus membranes, and fight any infection.
- Ring Worm – Rub coconut oil onto affected area to kill the fungus that causes unsightly ringworm. Add tea tree oil to clear the infection even faster.
- Lip Balm – Coconut oil hydrates and protects lips. Coconut even offers some protection from the sun, about an SPF 4.
- Gum Removal – Coconut oil gets the sticky stuff out of hair, carpet, and anywhere else it doesn’t belong.
- Pet Health – Coconut oil can do a multitude of things for pets, both topically and internally. It improves breath, makes for a shiny coat, eases joint problems, cleans ears, gets rid of fleas, and much more.
- Styes/Pink Eye – Rub a small amount of coconut oil on the sty or around the eyes to get rid of these painful and annoying infections quickly.
- Cradle Cap – Coconut oil is gentle and safe for infants and helps ease the itching, pain, redness, and flaking associated with cradle cap.
- Nappy Rash – Coconut oil can help heal mild nappy rash gently and effectively.
- Shaving Cream – Coconut oil keeps the razor gliding smoothly while leaving skin smooth and soft.
- After Shave – Coconut oil soothes sensitive skin and promotes healing.
- Toothpaste – Mix 1 part coconut oil with 1 part baking soda and add a couple drops of peppermint oil. This makes a refreshing, natural toothpaste that whitens and cleans without added preservatives, fluoride, sweeteners, or other chemicals.
- Chicken Pox – Ease the itch and encourage healing with dabs of coconut oil. It also works on poison ivy, poison oak, mosquito bites, and other insect stings or bites.
- Yeast Infections – Coconut oil fights these fungal infections internally and externally.
- Makeup Remover – Coconut oil removes oil-based makeup easily, like mascara.
- Conditioner – Coconut oil conditions, strengthens, and repairs hair. Massage it in and rinse it out after ten minutes. A small amount can be rubbed in to dry hair to tame frizz.
- Energy – Coconut oil and its medium chain triglycerides make it an excellent energy source to improve stamina, endurance, or just to give you a boost through the day.
- Deodorant – Mix coconut oil with corn starch, baking soda, and your favourite essential oils for a natural deodorant that smells fantastic.
- Eye Cream – Reduce puffiness and dark circles with a few dabs of coconut oil.
- Eczema – Coconut oil reduces the itchiness, pain, flakiness, and dryness of eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis.
- Sunburn – Coconut oil can help prevent sunburn for short exposures. When you burn, it will also speed healing and take some of the sting away. Make sure you wait until all the heat has dissipated before applying it or you trap the heat in. Wait 24 to 72 hours depending on the extent of the burn.
- Haemorrhoids – Coconut oil eases the pain and discomfort of haemorrhoids and encourages natural healing both internally and externally.
- Nose Bleeds – Rub a bit of coconut oil in nostrils to fight the dry cracking that can lead to nose bleeds and pain.
- Canker Sores – Dab coconut oil on canker sores to kill infection and speed up healing. Coconut oil is also a far tastier way to treat canker sores than most other methods.
- Toothaches – Coconut oil eases the pain and strengthens teeth. You can mix it with a drop of clove oil to almost instantly relieve pain.
- Acid Reflux – Take a small spoonful with meals to keep acid reflux and heartburn at bay.
- Urinary Tract – Treat urinary tract infections with a spoonful of coconut oil. It may even ease the painful passing of kidney stones.
- Nursing – Coconut oil works great to repair dry, cracked skin, including sore nipples from nursing.
- Bones – Coconut oil aids the body in the absorption of calcium and magnesium. Both minerals are important for strong bones and teeth.
- Fitness – Coconut oil boosts energy, increases metabolism, improves thyroid function, and aids healthy weight loss.
- Cooking – Coconut oil doesn’t form harmful by-products when heated like most other oils and animal fats. Use it to replace butter, cup for cup in recipes. Sauté, cook, bake, broil, braise, and more using coconut oil as a healthier alternative.